The Arrival of the Papal Nuncio (1930)
The papal nuncio attended by a military guard of honour as he arrives for the official Church reception, 14 January, 1930
From The Irish Times, 16th January, 1930:
The arrival of the first papal nuncio accredited to Ireland, Dublin-born archbishop of Tyana Paschal Robinson, was marked with three days of ceremonies culminating in these formalities.
WITH AN escort of mounted troops, sixty strong, Monsignor Robinson, the Papal Nuncio to the Irish Free State, attended at the Viceregal Lodge, Phoenix Park, Dublin, yesterday, where he presented his credentials to the Governor-General [James McNeill]. The Governor-General, in reply, stated that he intended to take an early opportunity of going to Rome, in order to present his homage to the Pope.
In the afternoon the Nuncio visited Government Buildings, where he was received by President [of the Executive Council] Cosgrave and members of the Executive Council. Cardinal McRory visited the Nuncio at his hotel.
A State banquet was held in the evening. President Cosgrave, addressing the Nuncio, said that if there was anyone among the enemies of their country who hoped that political freedom would loosen their ties with Rome, these hopes had been disappointed, and would be disappointed in years to come.
As he left the Shelbourne Hotel, accompanied by Mr. Joseph Walsh, Secretary to the Ministry for External Affairs, and Colonel Joseph O’Reilly, A.D.C. to President Cosgrave, who travelled in his car, the Nuncio was saluted by a military guard of honour and a fanfare of trumpets. . . .
A strong force of Civic Guards was employed in keeping the route clear. At no point in the centre of the city was the crowd very large, but all were anxious to catch a glimpse of the Nuncio, and as he passed he was respectfully saluted and occasionally cheered.
Children from the Roman Catholic schools, having been granted a holiday for the occasion, lined the route in considerable numbers . . .
Large crowds awaited the party at the North Circular gate to the Phoenix Park, and thousands of school children lined that particular section of the route. Cheers were given as the Papal Nuncio drove into the Park, and many people followed the procession right up to the Phoenix Monument, where it entered the grounds of the Viceregal Lodge.
From the main entrance gate of the Lodge to the front of the Governor-General’s residence the carriage drive was lined on both sides with members of the Free State Army, while overhead circled aeroplanes of the Flying Corps . . .
Shortly after noon the Nuncio arrived. He was received by the Comptroller of the Household (Mr. J. Doyle), and conducted into the building, followed by his secretary, Monsignor Borgia.
Almost immediately an Army officer appeared at the door of the Lodge, and by a wave of a handkerchief intimated that the Nuncio was presenting his credentials. The signal was transmitted by a special telephone line to a battery stationed near the Wellington Monument, and a salute of nineteen guns was fired.
Here is a nice picture of the nuncio at the 1932 International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin with the then Fr. John Charles McQuaid, President of Blackrock College and future Archbishop of Dublin, to the left, and the new premier Éamon de Valera to the right.